Friday, December 18, 2009

Back to Basics

Have you noticed lately that a lot of people are “getting back to basics”? Granted, I love technology; I would HATE to not have my computer or my HDTV or my cell phone. However, there are certain things that I really feel are better when they’re done the "old-fashioned" way. For instance, although I have a cell phone for when I’m on the go, I still have a landline at home and have no intention of ever getting rid of it; it’s just too reliable. Also, my wife and I shun the microwave; we have one, we’d just think that food cooked in a regular oven tastes better.

The one thing I’ve really gone back in time for, though, is a nice, comfortable, luxury shave using a straight razor. Cartridge blades, disposables, and electric razors either just don’t shave close enough or do so at the expense of your skin. How many of you HATE shaving? It's irritating, it leaves you itchy for hours.... For some of us, it leaves you with razor bumps or severe razor burn, and that foamy stuff in a can has way too many manmade chemicals in it; it can’t be good for you.

Straight razors, like those made by Dovo, along with a good, old-fashioned shave soap (or cream), a shave brush, and lots of water will give you the closest, smoothest, most comfortable shave you’ve had in a long time. Plus, there’s practically no chance for razor bumps. Razor bumps occur when a hair is cut below the skin line and then gets caught underneath when it tries to grow. Multi-bladed razor commercials actually brag about how one blade grips the hair and pulls it while the next blade cuts it below the skin line, claiming that’s how they give you the “closest” shave. What a crock! Straight razors can’t cut your hair below the skin line, just to skin level, so all you feel is skin; a close shave and no bumps!

No comments:

Post a Comment